Policies and Procedures
Property and Space Committee
I. Committee Membership
The Property and Space Committee shall consist of at least six (6) members.
II. Committee Duties and Responsibilities
The Property and Space Committee shall be responsible for:
A. Assisting in the care of all church property and buildings;
B. Implementing these policies and procedures as well as recommending changes to them.
III. Policies and Procedures
A. It shall be the policy of Memorial Baptist Church to be wise stewards of its property, buildings and equipment. Church property and buildings shall be utilized to the fullest for the Lords’ work.
Guidelines from any available space utilization recommendation, which have been prepared for the church, may be used.
B. Adequate insurance coverage shall be maintained to cover replacement of structures, equipment and furnishings. The Trustees shall determine the value of church-owned assets.
C. It shall be the policy of Memorial Baptist Church for permanent improvements to property and buildings to be approved by the church if such improvement is deemed to be substantial. No alternations of the uses of church properties shall occur without church approval.
D. A periodic inspection shall be conducted, at least annually, of all church property to ascertain the general condition of the need for maintenance, repair or improvement.
E. An inventory of church property including equipment and furnishings shall be conducted at least every five years.
F. A periodic survey shall be conducted, at least annually, to assure church property is being used properly. General regulations to be observed by all users of the church buildings include:
1. The use of tobacco within the building is prohibited at all times;
2. The use of alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs is prohibited on church property at all times;
3. No furniture or fixtures that have been made stationary by screws or other fasteners shall be removed.
G. Routine and periodic activities by the Property and Space Committee shall include the following:
1. Inspect all church property periodically to ascertain its general condition and the necessity for maintenance, repairs and/or improvements.
2. Maintain an inventory of church property equipment and furnishings.
3. Consult with program leaders concerning space allocations.
4. Recommend changes in use of facilities and property.
5. Develop and recommend a program of preventative maintenance.
6. Make recommendations concerning maintenance personnel, employment, training, and supervision of maintenance personnel.
7. Develop and initiate scheduled cleaning procedures for church facilities.
8. Develop and recommend arranging, equipping and administration of parking space.
9. Request and administer the maintenance, furniture and equipment budget.
10. Consult with church organization leaders and other groups concerning adequate furnishings.
11. Secure insurance in the amount determined by the Trustees to cover replacement of structures, equipment and furnishings.
12. Respond to requests and suggestions from other committees, organizations and individuals.
H. Custodial Services
1. The church may hire a custodian(s) to provide custodial services.
2. The following guidelines shall apply to all custodians employed by the church:
a. The custodian(s) shall be employed by the church upon the recommendation of the Personnel Committee, the Senior Pastor, and the Property and Space Committee.
b. The general supervision of the custodian(s) shall be the responsibility of the Property and Space Committee.
c. The day-to-day supervision of the custodian(s) shall be the responsibility of the Senior Pastor.
d. Duties, schedules, and vacations of the custodian(s) shall be those agreed upon by them, the Property and Space Committee, and as generally outlined in the job description provided by the church for each staff member.
e. Initially, the compensation of the custodian(s) shall be that agreed upon by themselves and the Property and Space Committee, subject to review by the Stewardship Committee and approved by the church.
3. In lieu of employing a custodian, the church may employ a custodial or janitorial service through a contract upon recommendation of the Property and Space Committee, subject to review by the Stewardship Committee and approval by the church.
4. Custodial or janitorial service guidelines shall include:
a. The Property and Space Committee shall evaluate contractor performance annually under any contract into which the church enters as mentioned in (3) above and shall provide a report of performance to the church at such time as the contract is recommended for renewal or termination. The Property and Space Committee shall prepare such evaluations in written form and shall provide a copy to the church office for its permanent records.
b. Termination of service by the church of a contraction as mentioned in (3) above shall be by vote of the church upon recommendation of the Property and Space Committee. Notification to the contractor of termination of the contract shall be in accordance with the termination clause of the contract.
Approved by Memorial Baptist Church July 9, 2014