I. Committee Membership
A. The Nominating Committee shall consist of five members as proposed by the deacons.
B. The chair of the committee shall be recommended for election by the deacons.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
Selecting and proposing nominees to the church to fill vacancies and expiring terms for staffing all church offices, programs and committees.
III. Policies and Procedures
A. Church committee, program and organization staffing shall be allowed as follows:
1. Church members only shall be selected to serve on administrative committees/groups (Personnel, Nominating, Stewardship, Long-Range Planning, Auditing, Administrative Oversight, Trustees, Teller, Fund Raising, Church Clerk, and Deacon Selection).
2. Non-members who are regular attenders and professing Christians may serve on service committees/groups (Ordinance, Recreation, Worship Team, Youth, Children’s, Hospitality, Property and Space, Public Relations and Communications, Transportation, and Connections.
3. Some positions may demand meeting additional criteria including completion of application or information forms or background checks.
B. The terms for church positions may range from temporary to indefinite. Generally, the terms shall be as follows. Deviations from these terms may be allowed in any situation where the need demands and a member is willing to serve for an alternate amount of time.
1. The Bible Study Director, Outreach Director, Department Directors, and teachers shall generally serve one-year terms. The Nominating Committee shall propose extensions of terms of serve or replacements on a yearly basis.
2. Committee memberships shall generally be for three-year terms. Committee chairs shall be elected by members of the committees and shall generally serve one-year terms. The Nominating Committee shall generally propose extensions of service or replacement for committee memberships on a rotating three-year basis. Committee membership shall be staggered over a three-year period to ensure continuity on the committee with, as a rule, no more than two members rotating off the committee in any given year.
3. Other church officer and program director positions shall generally be for one year terms. The Nominating Committee shall propose extensions of terms of service or replacements on a yearly basis.
4. The Nominating Committee shall propose for church approval an ad hoc Deacon Selection Committee no later than the July business meeting each year.
5. The Nominating Committee shall propose for church approval an ad hoc Long-Range Planning Committee upon request of the Senior Pastor and the Administrative Oversight Committee to serve at the pleasure of the church. The Long-Range Planning Committee shall be appointed every five years (beginning in 2015) and will serve until the long-range plan has been fully implemented.
6. The Nominating Committee will provide copies of committee policies and procedures to potential committee members who are unfamiliar with the scope of any committee on which they are being asked to consider serving.
C. Schedule for Nominating Committee work
1. Bible Study Program
a. A Bible Study Director nominee shall be proposed to the church body for approval no later than the May business meeting. Upon approval, the Bible Study Director shall become an ex officio member of the Nominating Committee for the purpose of assisting the committee in staffing the Bible Study program for the upcoming year (beginning in August).
b. Members to fill other Bible Study Program positions including teachers shall be proposed to the church body for approval no later than the August July business meeting.
c. Vacancies shall be filled as expeditiously as possible by selection of nominees and presentation to the church for approval as needs arise.
2. Nominees for general church officers and committee membership shall be proposed to the church body for approval no later than the November business meeting. Vacancies and new positions may be proposed and filled at other times as deemed necessary by the church.
3. Deacon Selection Committee members and a chair shall be proposed to the church body for approval no later than the July business meeting.
4. Long-Range Planning Committee members shall be proposed to the church for approval every five years (first committee to begin work in 2015) during the November business meeting.
D. The Nominating Committee shall ensure that all newly approved officers, directors, leaders, teachers, and committee members are informed of their appointment as soon as possible after church approval.
Nominating Committee Timeline
May Present nominee for Bible Study Director at Business Meeting for approval
June Nominating Committee meets to discuss nominees for Deacon Selection Committee and Bible Study teachers.
July Present nominees for Deacon Selection Committee and Bible Study teachers at Business Meeting for approval.
Aug-Oct Nominating Committee meets to consider nominees for general church officers, organization leaders, and committee membership.
November Present nominees for general church officers, organization leaders, and committee members at the Business Meeting for approval.*
January Present nominees for any unfilled positions at the Business Meeting
Jan-Dec Fill positions as the need arises.
*Deacons submit nominees for the Nominating Committee and Chair
Approved by Memorial Baptist Church May 14, 2014